Shaped Dinner Rolls
This was so much fun to make and everyone helped making their own shapes plus it just looked like the photo in the book!! :)
450g/4cups unbleached white bread flour
10ml/2 teaspoons salt
5ml/1 teaspoon castor sugar
1pk instant yeast
50g/¼ cup butter
250ml/1 cups lukewarm milk
FOR THE TOPPING:
1 egg yolk
15ml/1 tablespoon water
seasme seeds and poppy seeds for sprinkling
MAKES 12 ROLLS
1. Lightly grease two baking sheets. Sift the flour and salt together in a large bowl and stirr in the sugar and yeast.
Add the butter and rub in until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Make a well in the centre. Add the milk and egg to the well and mix to a dough. Knead on a floured surface
for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
3. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with lightly oiled plastic wrap and leave to rise, in a warm place, for 1 hour, or until the dough has doubled in
4. Turn out on lightly floured surface and knock back (punch down) and knead for 2-3 minutes. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and shape into
different shaped rolls.
5. Place the dinner rolls on the prepared baking sheets, spacing them apart, cover with lightly oiled clear film and leave to rise, in a warm place,
for 30 minutes, or until doubled in bulk.
6. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 220ºC. Bruch the top of the scroll with water and egg glaze and sprinkle some with
sesame seeds and some with poppy seeds. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden.
7. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.