For crispy biscuits the dough must be rolled out thin, but I like it thick and soft. Yummeee!!
You can make half this batter to start with the first time. This recipe will give you about 5 dosen biscuits, depending on your shapes and sizes, but it is worth it!
950g/6½ cups cake flour
3 cups sugar
45ml/3 tablespoons ginger
10ml/2 teaspoons mixed spices
10ml/2 teaspoons cinnamon
2,5ml/½ teaspoon salt
10ml/2 teaspoons baking soda
45ml/3 tablespoons boiled water
45ml/3 tablespoons syrup
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1. Sift the flour, sugar and all of the spices together in a
2. Rub the butter into the flour mixture.
3. Mix the baking soda, boiled water and syrup together.
4. Add it to the flour mixture and also add the eggs.
5. Mix well until 'n firm dough forms.
6. Roll out and cut with cookie cutters or roll balls in the
palm of your hand and slightly press down with a fork.
7. Bake in batches on prepared baking sheet (lined with
baking paper or rubbed with butter/oil) at 180°C for 10-15 minutes.